Fashion On a Budget

What do you do when you need/ want new clothes and have a limited budget? Kinda like me? And probably the rest of you non-trust fund babies... Well here's what I suggest you do... go to you closet and assess what you have. What can be repurposed? What can do double duty? Can it be worn in another way? Does it fit? If not- GET RID OF IT!!! Most everything in my closet can/ is worn in many ways. 
Layered tee



First- I love cardigans- layer them over & under tanks or short sleeved shirts & tees. Get cardies of all sleeve lengths- long, short, 3/4. I like short sleeve tees since they can also be layered or worn alone. In the winter, I layer them over a long sleeve turtle neck or another tee. My tees usually have a bold graphic print or design and I keep the under layers in a simple solid or stripe. 



Window-pane pattern black slacks. 
Yes, this is a neutral.
Bottoms- do what I say, not what I do when it comes to pants... Avoid too much black because it limits you- believe me. Neutrals? Gray, khaki, denim (although I'm not sure how much of that is allowed with teacher peeps) Really most any color can be a "neutral" but that's a lesson for another day. You know what's funny? I actually have only denim and black trousers in my closet that fit right now! Funny stuff. OK. Let's move on. See what I mean about do what I say and not what I do? (It's because I can wear jeans to work and I can't ever seem to leave a store, um Gap, without buying a pair.) Get skirts! Short skirts- right above the knee is most flattering for most of us. A-line or what I like to call the "poofy" skirt. You'll know it when you see it. It's "poofy"!! I love skirts because you can practially wear them year round. In the warmer months wear them with cute sandals or ballet flats. In the colder months (ok who am I kidding- it's Texas) COOLER months, wear them with tights. Put on some loafers, boots, or even those cute ballet flats. 

My peep-toes worn with tights & 
a super short dress in the winter

My favorite Coach loafers
































Another way to stretch the budget is with accessories. Belts, necklaces, earrings and bracelets can totally change an outfit from funky with brights to rocker chick with metals to classic with pearls. Try them all and mix it up. Personalize your style and make it your own. Never be afraid to make something your own. Be bold ladies! :)


This look below is one of the boldest looks I've ever done- It was a navy/ green RL plaid button down with a black sequin tee layered over it. Loads of black, silver & pewter chains & crosses. I wore super dark wash trouser jeans and my Coach platform loafers. Now I know this look isn't for everyone, and I probably wouldn't do it again, but my point is to dare to be different and have fun with your clothes. 


My "preppy goth" look- sequin tee layered
over RL plaid with loads of crosses & chains

Comments

Popular Posts