The Loves of My Life

There are three things I really truly love- clothes, food and travel. Somehow, someway, there's gotta be a way to do all three. Or at least two. Right?

Clothes
I love clothes. Really I do. Maybe it doesn't make any sense to you whatsoever, but I can't imagine that anyone in the world who wouldn't get excited over a new magazine in the mail featuring the new Fall looks. Or what about those super cute blue boots on page 62 of the August issue Lucky mag? I think it's important to look your absolute best everyday. I don't buy anybody's excuse that they don't have the time or the money or they don't care. I'm a single mom, work full time and I have a very limited budget. You want to know where I shop? For the most part it's Target, Marshall's, and Goodwill. Yup. I also love Gap, Banana Republic, and Ann Taylor- but always, ALWAYS, on sale. Everyone cares about how they look or they wouldn't bother to buy clothes or brush their hair. Take the time you need to look your best. If you have kids, help them, but teach them to dress themselves as well. You both win.

Food
I also love food. I really love food- eating and especially eating. When I was 23, I seriously considered going off to culinary school- NECI to be exact. But it was far away, really expensive, and in the 90's there weren't many female chefs. Nobody encouraged me and more often than not when I talked to a chef-type person, their first words were "you don't want to be a chef. you're a girl. you'll never make it... blah blah blah..." Of course you don't need to go to culinary school to be a chef, but it sounds so romantic. "Yes. I graduated from NECI." (NECI-New England Culinary Institute is in Montpelier, VT in case you were wondering) So as many lives go, I fell in love, had two bouncing baby boys and got inspired by the Food Network. I'd bring my oldest son in the kitchen with me in his stroller while I got creative, cooked and watched FoodTV. Later, he pulled out my pots & pans from the bottom shelf, fell in love with Rachel Ray and now helps me in the kitchen on a regular basis. One of my favorite things to do is go the store to buy everything I need to make a fabulous creation after flipping through Food & Wine magazine. I can spend hours going up and down each aisle and looking at all the different things.
Travel

Then there's travel. I don't go anywhere but that's because I can't afford it. So for now I make my list. Okay, I exaggerate. I have traveled outside of Texas - I went to NYC, but I was six so I would like to go as an adult just to I appreciate the fabulousness of it all. I have been to 42 of the 48 contiguous United States, but that was an adventure to tell another time. I've been to Mexico (not just the border) and Canada- both times as a kid. I did get to go to Hawaii with my work peeps a few years ago. That was pretty awesome. What I mean here is I'd like to go somewhere big at least once a year. Or, even better, I would like to have travel be a part of my everyday life. Of course right now that's impossible. But who knows?

So there you have it. Clothes, food, and travel. Let's see how Becky can make this work...

Comments

Popular Posts