I Have Nothing to Wear!!

Very often a friend will ask me for fashion advice... "Becky, I'm going to (insert event here) and I have nothing to wear!" I'm so excited when my pals ask me! Little ol' me for advice. It makes me smile.  So recently my dear friend that I've known forever- really, since we were like 3- asked me what she should wear to meet up with some gal pals. They're just going to hang out and possibly go to dinner. 


I always say that too...just don't tell anyone!) So we have a couple of options here- a casual summery dress-turned-fallish or jeans with heels. I love the first option because it's so versatile and it stretches your wardrobe into the cooler months. Plus- it's Texas. How cool has it gotten really? But it's fall so you want to at least feel and look a bit fallish right?


Option number 1- take a summery sundress and add a cardigan. (I just saw a commercial for the cutest cardys at Old Navy) That's it. If it's a long sleeve or 3/4 sleeve, I would push up the sleeves to just past your elbow. Don't wear sandals. Wear ballet flats or something with a low heel. This is where i got inspired for my outfit for a dinner event I had tonight. I wore a white on white embroidered summer sundress, navy elbow sleeve cardy and silver ballet flats. 

If you prefer jeans (and sometimes you do) then go for a really dark wash, mid-rise or trouser cut, boot cut/slight flare/straight leg. Those are going to be the best for dressing up, but can also be casual. I really like skinny jeans for going out. Super dark, white or black. Yes I said white! It is after Labor Day and it is okay to wear white- if worn appropriately. But that's a lesson for another day. Stick to what you see here- even with white jeans and you'll be just fine. Please don't wear the casual, faded thigh, strategically worn & torn because you bought them that way jeans. Save those for... um... on second thought, try not to buy those either. If you're out of high school, there's really not an appropriate place to wear those. 


As for tops with jeans... my go to look is a funky print tee and a cardy. The tee keeps is casual and the cardy takes it a bit dressier and into fall. Colors to go for right now? I love berries, olives, grays, and dark browns. Navy blue is a great pull together color. Cardigans (cardys) are a favorite piece to add to my wardrobe. I think summer is the only time I don't wear them. They are timeless. 

As for the shoes with the jeans... Boots are huge right now. If you're going to buy new shoes, I'd go for an ankle bootie in brown for the most versatile wear. Or even an knee length boot- which you can wear under or over jeans, pants, with dresses, just about anything!



So try try try to avoid the black top with jeans look. Please. I beg you. It's done to death. Don't believe me? Look for it next time you go out to dinner or a club or whatever evening place you happen to hang out in. There will be a large group of gals, and more than half of them will be wearing that combo. 


My boys and I at dinner tonight- with pop-in Cleto Rodriguez!

Comments

Popular Posts