My First Fashion Week: Austin

So... Maybe you know this maybe you don't, but I've been a contributing Fashion Reporter for the Fashionably Connected and Fashionably Austin online networks. After submitting an article, I was asked to cover Austin Fashion Week-AFW as part of the writing team. I was beyond excited to say the very least. Within a matter of six days, I traveled to Austin four times. It was exhausting and oh-so-very exciting at the same time. Plus I dragged my poor boys with me- let me tell you, boys ages 8 & 9 do not like fashion related events. In the least. Even when bribed.


I met the gals and writing team for the first time on the Friday night before AFW kick off. I dragged my boys to the meeting and promised them food. Surprisingly they were mostly well behaved. I officially got a press pass and I was beside myself with excitement. I tried to act cool but I'm pretty sure it didn't fly. We then headed for the first of many trips this week to F.N. Goode Burgers on Guadalupe, owned by none other than my rockstar chef cousin Rick Gutierrez. Funny enough, the boys made themselves at home in the kitchen and went to work! Made a few bucks a long the way. Funny stuff. 


On Sunday afternoon, I got lost (remember I'm not from Austin) and covered the Pinup Hair & Makeup Workshop presented by Blood and Glitter Makeup. This workshop was held at Gemini Playhouse located in south Austin. The girls in attendance were treated to great tips on applying eyelashes, makeup and doing their hair in true pinup fashion. I think I walked away with a few tips of my own! Super cute looks... hmm...


Monday night I visited the Art on 5th Gallery while I waited for the Art of Jewelry show was being set up. I guess something got crossed in communication and I arrived quite early. No biggie. The gallery was awesome with an entire section devoted to Dr. Seuss! Way super cool! The boys loved it. For about 10 minutes. I then wandered over to the jewelry gallery and loved every square inch of it. The jewelry wasn't displayed in cases like a "normal" jewelry store. It was hung on the wall and framed like art. Very, very cool. 


Later in the week, I visited the absolutely wonderful resale shop- Lovely on First St. This store is amazing! In fact I had to buy a skirt that was calling my name after talking to the store owner Jane and she gave me 15% discount! Awesome! The shop has lovely little things and lots of cute dresses by Material designer Kellie Lewis. She designs dresses from vintage and recycled fabrics. She'll even custom design a dress for you. I think there may be something I need from her... There were tasty little treats by The Cupcake Bar- tiny, sparkly, little yummy bites of goodness- for guests to indulge in. And boy did I indulge! 


That same night I visited sunglass shop Spectacles and met store owner Joe Oviedo. We talked about the sunglasses of course and how my signature shades have always been Ray-Bans Aviators. But, I fell in love with a pair of Marc Jacobs aviators. Joe and his sister Lori opened this store after moving from San Antonio about a year ago. It's a very cool, funky little shop on Lamar St. 







Later that same whirlwind night I went to SoLa (also on Lamar) and met designer Chia. She's totally amazing! She makes the cutest bags and skirts from vintage fabrics and I want one of each. She also designs hats- the cutest furry hats. Oh. My. Gosh. If it was cold enough around here I'd get one. You know, I might just get one for the three really cold days we do have! 

So all in all, I went to several events, met some great people and had a blast! I can't wait for more. My poor boys will just have to go along for the ride. They'll either learn to love fashion as much as I do. Or they'll really, really hate it. In any case, all three of us will look fabulous! 


http://www.lovelyaustin.com/
http://www.thecupcakebaraustin.com/
http://www.arton5th.com/
http://www.solastyle.com/
http://www.chiahats.com/
http://fashionablyaustin.com/blog/afw-spectacle-sunglasses-and-tikkr-watch/

Jennifer Pinson- putting on eyelashes
Tiny little treats from The CupCake Bar
@ Lovely

Trying to look cool with my credentials

Comments

  1. I had no idea you were so into fashion ma'am!!! I love your blog. You're a great writer--very descriptive & your enthusiasm for fashion DEFINITELY shows through.
    I'm so glad that you're going after your passion. God has blessed you!! I look forward to reading postings from Fashion Week in NYC, Paris, London, etc. I'm not kidding!!!!
    xoxoco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I just realized you had left a comment!!! Nobody ever does... I'm hoping and praying for the best. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts